Saturday, February 4, 2012

snOMG!!! An Urban Skiing Adventure

The largest February snowstorm in 100 years dumped 17 inches of snow at my house in Northwest Denver. This obviously called for an urban skiing adventure.

I searched Craigslist for a cheap pair of cross-country skis and lucked upon some waxless Karhus for $20 less than two miles from my house. I took them home, geared up, and was out the door. Destination: Denver Beer Co.

Conditions were good but variable. I skied through over a foot of unconsolidated powder at times. Plowed streets and shoveled sidewalks with a few inches of fresh skied surprisingly well. Attempting to ski across the exposed asphalt on Federal Boulevard was not nearly as fun.

I turned south onto Tejon Street and passed the neighborhood speakeasy, the old Olinger Mortuary turned trendy restaurant named Linger, and the 90 year old fountain store turned tap room. The lengthy descent tested my skiing skills - floppy boots and skis lacking metal edges aren't the greatest tools for negotiating icy, snowpacked roads and vehicle traffic!


Safely down the hill, I crossed the Highland Bridge into downtown Denver. A few blocks of sidewalk skiing led me to the tap room at Denver Beer Co.

Highland Bridge and "National Velvet" by Denver artist John McEnroe
I ordered an IPA and verified with the bartender that I was, in fact, the first person ever to ski to Denver Beer Co. I ran into some friends, enjoyed a few more beers (including Graham Cracker Porter, a Great American Beer Festival Bronze Medal winner), geared up, and skied the three miles back home. Success!

No comments: